Lubuntu 13.10 Alpha 1 (Saucy Salamander) Officially Released
Canonical announced the release of the first Alpha version for its upcoming Ubuntu Linux operating systems, including Lubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander).
Just like in the case of Kubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME, the developers of Lubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) have been quite busy and it shows in the changelog.
Highlights of Lubuntu 13.10 Alpha 1 (Saucy Salamander):
• The Chromium browser has been replaced by Mozilla Firefox;
• The XScreensaver has been removed;
• ZRam has been added, thus enabling the desktop installer to work on lower RAM machines;
• The kernel has been updated to version 126.96.36.199 Ubuntu Linux kernel, which is based on the the upstream v3.9.7 Linux kernel.
More details about this release can be found in the official announcement.
Remember that this is a development release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only.
Lubuntu Pre-releases ARE recommended for:
1. Regular users who want to help us test by finding, reporting, and/or fixing bugs
2. Lubuntu developers
For verifying installation related bugs, updated disk images are available from Daily bootable images for standard PCs/laptops/netbooks.